Provides leadership in the coordination of surgical instrumentation through collaboration and planning with department managers, service coordinators, materials specialists, surgical services staff, the purchasing department and other clinical areas in the hospital to assure timely availability of reusable implants and instrumentation in good working condition for patient care across the organization. Responsible for the implementation, organization, maintenance, and problem solving of an integrated instrument management system.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Develops and maintains easy to use references for the instrument management system.
2. Develops and maintains records for current record of loaners and consignment sets.
3. Collaborates with Surgical Services Specialty Coordinators to ensure all changes related to instrumentation are coordinated as appropriate
4. Coordinates acquisition of all instrumentation for Perioperative Services, Labor and Delivery, the Emergency Department, the Cath Lab, and all floors and appropriate clinics.
5. Assists in the development and maintenance of an organized and effective program for the control of lost and damaged instrumentation for Surgical Services
6. Provides support for clinical education/training on new instrumentation.
7. Accountable for following the guidelines for attendance, punctuality and overall dependability. Accountable for effective performance and follow-through of all assigned responsibilities and for completing responsibilities within designated (or agreed upon) timeframes. Completes responsibilities in a manner consistent with organizational policy, goals and values.
8. Responsible for the “Accountabilities” associated with this position in support of the organization.
9. Performs other duties as assigned.
License, Certification, Education or Experience:
REQUIRED for the position:
- Must utilize one or more Cerner applications to deliver and track patient care.
- Has in-depth clinical knowledge and surgical experience to be able to understand the application of technology, therefore anticipating patient safety and assisting in cost management.
- Required to change into surgical scrubs, cover your head with a cap, and cover shoes with booties, wear a mask over nose and mouth when in when in restricted areas of Surgical Services Departments.
- Has exposure to disinfectants, cleaning agents, sterilants, and other potentially hazardous chemicals.
- Able to handle multiple tasks simultaneously with many interruptions.
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Surgical Technician or CS Instrument Technician Certification, Central Service course is required within (6) months of hire.
- Certified CS Technician with 3-5 years of experience
- Knowledge of medical terminology and surgical instrumentation
- Understand the application of surgical technology with in-depth clinical knowledge and experience