As the director of data science you will be responsible to manage and grow a team of data scientists working on products and services that help our curators and content teams make more optimal decisions, as well as power consumer-facing experiencences that improve the more they are used by our loyal fans. You will report to BuzzFeed's VP of data science & analytics, and manage a team of 5-10 direct reports.
BuzzFeed's data science team works on a wide range of problems across the product and business units. The team uses data-driven methods to power decisions, inform strategy, build robust data products, and identify opportunities for innovation across the company. We are true hybrids - software engineers, statisticians, mathematicians, domain experts and analysts - who specialize in translating questions into methodical approaches, experiments, and products. We think deeply about the limitations of data, and communicate our output coherently.
- Manage a team of data scientists focused on a diverse range of problems across BuzzFeed's tech investments.
- Establish both short and long-term strategic roadmaps, negotiating priorities across multiple business verticals
- Provide technical leadership and career mentorship to data scientists
- Work with data leadership to identify high-leverage opportunities
- Evangelize data governance and metric-driven decision making
- Establish best practices for conducting rigorous A/B tests for product development
- Motivate team by championing a culture of data informed services
- 5+ years of industry experience
- Experience managing and mentoring a team of data scientists
- Solid grasp of statistics and machine learning techniques
- Demonstrated history of building data products
- A good grasp of Python and SQL
- Working experience with commercial recommender and/or content ranking systems
- Graduate degree in CS, Statistics, or data-related program is preferred
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. As a BuzzFeed employee, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning Team, Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive compensation package, including salary and equity
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO and unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- No shortage of snacks, catered lunches, beverages, birthday treats... even leftovers from the Tasty kitchens in LA and NYC!