JOB TITLE: Applied Entomologist
EMPLOYER: Enviroflight LLC
DEPARTMENT: R&D Facility, currently in Yellow Springs OH, but relocation possible
REPORTS TO: Director of Research & Development (R&D)
EFFECTIVE DATE: 2/5/2020
SUMMARY: Lead, designs, executes and analyzes research trials focused on improving productivity of EnviroFlight operations.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Designs, executes, analyzes and reports on research projects conducted with black soldier fly (BSF) larvae in all aspects of production
- Oversees BSF related laboratory experiments
- Instructs R&D Technicians in applicable areas of entomology
- Engaged in monitoring and meeting standards for production quality and consistency of product
- Recommends and guides EnviroFlight research program
- This job has direct supervisory responsibilities with R&D Technicians participating in research projects.
- PhD in entomology, animal science or related field required.
- Experience rearing black soldier fly larvae, or other insect species preferred.
- Certificates, licenses and registrations required: Must have a valid U.S. driver's license.
- Ability to handle the dynamic, fast-paced, and multi-tasking environment of a rapidly growing agriculture/biotechnology company.
- Ability to work in a laboratory setting maintaining a high degree of accuracy and strong attention to detail.
- Working knowledge of common laboratory techniques related to insects/ biology.
- Computer skills required: Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Demonstrated willingness to learn
- Excellent planning, organization, and execution skills.
- Ability to work efficiently while maintaining high execution standards for collecting high quality data/information
- Ability to prioritize and re-prioritize activities as needed to accomplish unanticipated requests or initiate new projects requiring immediate attention.
- Demonstrated ability to provide and apply creative solutions to maintain workflow.
- Demonstrates the highest ethical standards and trustworthiness.
- Good verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Advanced skills in technical literature search and analysis.
- Advanced skills in statistical analysis, data management and visualization for interpretation of experimental results.
- Advanced skills in experimental design for hypothesis-driven trials/experiments.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions provided in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data;
Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs workflows and procedures.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations;
Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Strategic Thinking - Develops strategies to achieve organizational goals; Understands organization's strengths & weaknesses; Analyzes market and competition; Identifies external threats and opportunities; Adapts strategy to changing conditions.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively; Edits work for spelling and grammar; Varies writing style to meet needs; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret written information.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Frequently required to stand and walk
- Occasionally required to lift up to 50 pounds
- Continually utilize visual acuity to operate equipment, analytical instruments, read technical information, and/or use a keyboard
- Occasionally exposure to wet and/or humid conditions (non-weather)
- Occasionally work near moving mechanical parts
- Occasionally work around fumes, airborne particles, or toxic chemicals
- Occasionally travel to other company locations and events to represent EnviroFlight.
- Additional remarks regarding work environment - We are a growing agribusiness. All employees must be willing and able to work indoors and outdoors around the insects used in production, to be exposed to hot and cold temperatures, potentially unpleasant odors, and mechanical equipment used for production. Hard hats, safety shoes, rubber or latex gloves, and other protective equipment must be worn as required.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or physical requirements. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EnviroFlight LLC is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration to qualified applicants without regard to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or, protected veteran status. EEO is the Law: If you would like more information, please click on the link: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
Job Type: Full-time
- Microsoft Office: 1 year (Required)
- insect rearing: 1 year (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Required)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off