At Recursion, we combine experimental biology, automation, and artificial intelligence to quickly and efficiently identify treatments for human diseases. As we drive our programs toward the clinic, we are actively hiring Research Scientists for our Discovery team to help us rapidly expand our portfolio and move our science forward.
THE PROBLEMS YOU'LL SOLVE
Our approach to AI-enabled drug discovery gives us the ability to move quickly and gives you the opportunity to make an impactful contribution with reach into multiple disease areas. As a Scientist on our Discovery team, you will research multiple diseases as they come through the pipeline and use cellular and molecular biology techniques to deliver results that drive multiple programs forward in parallel. You will drive quantitative biology approaches to rapidly enable us to prioritize compound hits for further research and development, and then will be trusted to identify the most efficient way to make go/no-go decisions for each program. In addition, you will scale and execute assays, and present the results and conclusions to a broader audience.
For this role, we are looking for people who are eager to:
- Deliver - We hire scientists who understand what is needed for the critical path. You will deliver high-quality results that lead to key decisions on programs across multiple diseases simultaneously.
- Collaborate - We hire scientists who are engaging. You will work cross functionally with members of the Data Science, Software Engineering, and High Throughput Screening teams to drive our projects forward.
- Innovate - We hire scientists who can independently champion new ideas to efficiently drive and develop new projects.
THE EXPERIENCE YOU'LL NEED
- A Ph.D. plus a minimum of 2-3 years Postdoctoral experience in biology, physiology, pharmacology or related field. Industry experience is desirable but not required
- Strong verbal and written communication of technical information to diverse audiences
- Proven track record for delivering timely, high quality data to drive decisions
- Ability to independently drive projects from the bench
- A record of outstanding past projects, publications, and collaborations
- A passion for reading biological/medical literature and ability to rapidly understand new disease areas
PERKS YOU'LL ENJOY
- Coverage of health, vision, and dental insurance premiums (in most cases 100%)
- 401(k) with generous matching (immediate vesting)
- Stock option grants
- Two one-week paid company closures (summer and winter) in addition to flexible, generous vacation/sick leave
- Commuter benefit and vehicle parking to ease your commute
- Complimentary chef-prepared lunches and well-stocked snack bars
- Generous paid parental leave (including adoptive)
- Fully paid gym membership to Metro Fitness, located just feet away from our new headquarters
- Gleaming new 100,000 square foot headquarters complete with a 70-foot climbing wall, showers, lockers, and bike parking
WHAT WE DO
We start with various human cell types in our automated laboratory, where we perturb biology 100k different ways each week (e.g. model a disease of interest, add a chemical compound, or some combination of those). We image the resulting cells using high throughput microscopy, resulting in about 2 million new images or greater than 20 terabytes of data each week. These data are analyzed using computer vision and machine learning methods that help us measure how cell morphology changes in subtle ways in each biological context. We can answer direct questions (e.g. are there compounds that rescues a disease-specific set of morphological changes), and over time as our dataset has increased, we can ask more complex questions across biology. From the outset, our approach is agnostic to preconceived notions and dogma in biology, enabling Recursion to operate in novel target space. Potential treatments from this platform are then evaluated by our discovery biology team, who develop a literature-based understanding of the disease and use traditional wet-lab approaches to confirm and prioritize the hits.
Recursion is an equal opportunity employer and complies with all applicable federal, state, and local fair employment practices laws. Recursion strictly prohibits and does not tolerate discrimination against applicants because of race, color, religion, creed, national origin or ancestry, ethnicity, sex, pregnancy, gender (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law.