Athletics/Football - Assistant
Brien McMahon High School
2022-2023 SCHOOL YEAR
ASSISTANT COACH – VARSITY FOOTBALL
BRIEN MCMAHON HIGH SCHOOL
Position is responsible for assisting with the coaching of student athletes in game strategies and techniques to prepare them for athletic competition. Position motivates student athletes to develop an appreciation of the sport.
- Assists with organizational meetings for team prospects and encourages potential athletes to participate in the sport.
- Assesses players’ skills and assigns team positions.
- Assists with developing a regular practice schedule and organizes practice time to provide both individual and team development.
- Works with the head coach and/or athletic director in scheduling facilities for practices and competition.
- Assists coaching and instructing players, individually or in groups, regarding the rules, regulations, equipment, and techniques of the sport.
- Observes players, during competition and practice to determine the needs for individual or team improvement.
- Determines game strategy based on the team’s capabilities.
- Establishes and maintains standards of behavior and provides proper supervision of athletes at all times.
- Monitors the academic performance of team members to ensure that eligibility requirements are met.
- Follows established procedures in the event of an athlete’s injury.
- Conferences with parents/guardians, as necessary, regarding the athletic performance of their children.
- Follows state, regional, and district regulations governing the athletic program.
- Models sports-like behavior and maintains appropriate conduct towards players, officials, and spectators.
- Acts as a team representative and promotes the sport by communicating with the news media, booster clubs, service clubs, and other organizations.
- Follows established procedures for the proper care, maintenance, & requisitioning of equipment, supplies, and uniforms.
- Works with the head coach and/or athletic director to develop a policy for awards and submits a list of award winners at the end of the season.
- Participates in special activities to include parents’ night, banquets, award nights, and pep assemblies.
- Interacts in a positive manner with staff, students and parents
- Promotes good public relations by personal appearance, attitude and conversation
- Experience working with teenaged athletes
- Knowledge and previous experience coaching
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- Effective, active listening skills
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Organizational and problem solving skills
- Basic knowledge of all other subject matter
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent reading comprehension
- Excellent math comprehension
- High school diploma
- CT SDE coaching certification
- American Red Cross Lifeguard certification; current First Aid/CPR/AED Training; Connecticut Coaching Module #15 certificate
- Experience at high school or college level preferred; combination of head coach, assistant coach, player and/or education may be substituted
- Three years' high school coaching experience or a higher level
- Must possess effective coaching techniques and skills
- Must possess knowledge of rules, regulations, strategies and techniques of the sport
- Bilingual in Spanish, preferred
NORWALK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Norwalk Board of Education to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or physical and mental disability in the school district's educational program and activities; and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender; gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or physical and mental disability.